Saturday, October 27, 2012

Best Thing to Eat in Napa Valley

Who knew the power of ham sandwich?  It's been two weeks since I visited Farmstead Restaurant, but still, I can't get those ham sandwiches out of my mind.  A good friend from San Francisco took my wife and I on a tour of Napa Valley.  The entire tour revolved around eating lunch at Farmstead Restaurant in St. Helena.  He kept on saying, "You've got to try their ham sandwiches.  They are unbelievable."  I thought it strange to have such singular focus on pork, but now I understand.  The ham sandwiches at Farmstead Restaurant are truly one of the best things I have ever ate. The rest of their food is pretty good too!

What to Expect

Ham Sandwiches from Farmstead, Napa Valley
Farmstead Restaurant is located in a renovated nursery barn.  The high ceilings and original woodwork give the restaurant an open and rustic feel.  There are tables inside and out, with the patio offering a spectacular view of the landscaped grounds. Stephen Barber, the executive chef, focuses the menu around seasonal and locally produced foods.  I won't attempt to critique the Farmhouse's wine selection, but it seemed extensive.  For those that would like to bring in their own bottle of wine, there is no corkage fee at Farmstead--instead they ask for a $2 donation to a local non-profit.

We arrived around 2pm on a Saturday, and though the restaurant was crowded, we were able to sit down immediately without a reservation.  At our friend's urging, we ordered a plate of the "Mini Ham Sandwiches with Fresno Pepper Jelly" as appetizers.  The sandwiches were the perfect marriage of salty (ham), sweet and spicy (jelly), and buttery goodness (biscuits).  After the sandwiches, I wasn't sure what to do for the second course--my body was telling me to eat more ham, but my mind said I better try something new.  I ordered the pulled pork sandwich, my wife ordered tomato soup, and our friend ordered more ham sandwiches.  While my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our choices, we couldn't help but stare in envy as our companion sat in culinary bliss with his plate of ham sandwiches.  We should have ordered more ham sandwiches too.    

Farmstead, St. Helena
There is a popular show on the Food Network called "The Best Thing I ever Ate."  On the show, popular chefs share their favorite dishes from restaurants across the country.  If I could, I would  nominate the ham sandwiches from Farmstead Restaurant as the "Best thing to eat in Napa Valley."  Even if you choose to forgo the ham sandwiches, Farmstead Restaurant is a must-stop lunch destination for any tour of Napa Valley.

Just the Basics
  • Location: 738 Main Street, Helena, California
  • Hours: Open daily from 11am to 6pm 
  • Websitehttp://www.longmeadowranch.com/Farmstead-Restaurant
  • Cost: First course $7-$13, Second Course $15-$27
  • Advice: Order the mini ham sandwiches to share at your table.  You may decide to order another round as your main course.