Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Photo of the Week: Kennett River Koala

Australia's unique wildlife is reason alone to visit the continent.  In fact, it was the chance to see kangaroos, wombats, koalas, wallabies, and other critters that brought me to Australia.  While traveling on the Great Ocean Road in Victoria, I spotted some koalas at Kennett River.  Kennett River is located about two hours southwest of Melbourne and is known as one of the best places in the world to see koalas in the wild.  Because koalas dine almost exclusively on eucalyptus leaves, which are poisonous to most other species and offer little protein, they sleep up to eighteen hours each day.  As you can tell, the koala in this photo was just waking up! 

Koala in Kennett River, Australia, Great Ocean Road
Photo of the week is part of "Photo Thursday," started by Nancie at the Budget Travelers Sandbox.  Please visit her site to check out other amazing photos! 

9 comments:

  1. If only the koalas were as cuddly as this one looks. Is it a rare occurrence to see koalas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those little critters. If you ever get excess, send me some ! Cool capture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, I love koalas, but I've never seen one in the wild before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Koalas are not rare near Kennett River, though I don't know of many other places where they are so easy to spot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute little Koala! These little animals are so cute and cuddly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, how cute! I just read that a baby koala was born at the Los Angeles Zoo yesterday. Your photo inspired me...I might have to go see it for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. In addition to that koala being the cutest creature I've seen today, I love the way you framed this photo and caught that beautiful blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these little fellas!

    Thanks for posting to Travel Photo Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute and cuddly but sadly numbers are falling in many areas. Meantime here in New Zealand we can send back a shitload of possums to Australia!
    http://holesinmysoles.blogspot.com/2011/04/travel-photo-thursday-april-14th.html

    ReplyDelete