Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Photo of the Week: Cassowary vs. Car

My photo this week is from a roadside near Cairns, Australia. The cassowary is a large flightless bird native to northeast Australia.  The ostrich is the only bird that weighs more than the cassowary.  Cassowaries can be vicious when they are disturbed and are capable of inflicting serious injury to humans.  Unfortunately, traffic accidents are the largest cause of death to this endangered species.

Speeding has killed cassowaries, Australia
In the sign, it appears that the car is taking the brunt of the damage from the collision. I have seen an angry cassowary before, and I wouldn't be surprised if one could take down a car in a fit of rage!

Planning a trip to Australia?  Check out my favorite book about Australia, In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson.  Photo of the week is part of "Photo Thursday" started by Nancie at the Budget Travelers Sandbox.  Please visit her site to check out other amazing photos! 

9 comments:

  1. Woh! That is some stuff for a cassowary! I would be very terrified if I met one though....;)

    Here's mine: http://jorietravel.blogspot.com/2011/04/travel-photos-thursday-singapores.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking on a cassowary is not a good idea - they do serious damage to cars! I hope the warnings work because road accidents cause cassowary to suffer a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool sign. I already posted but, I think you may have inspired my submission to Travel Photo Thursday for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I've never even heard of a cassowary before....but if one crosses my path I'll be sure to steer clear. They look to be invincible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. From the sign, it looks like the cassowary is as large as the car! Would like to see a cassowary someday and try not to make it angry. Nice photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this shot!I had not idea that these birds were so nasty.

    Thanks for joining Travel Photo Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the sign - mostly because it brings back memories of my son & sister -in - law working on spelling cassowary for the annual spelling bee. I have heard nasty things too about the bird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Signs are a great thing and this one is no exception. I think a big bird would be scary! Fun to see but scary and I wouldn't want to run into one with my car. But then I wouldn't want to run into anything with my car :) Enjoyed the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! That's an amazing sign. And I thought the "frog-crossing" sign that I saw in Munich, Germany was interesting...this definitely beats that.

    ReplyDelete