Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Photo of the Week

This is my favorite photo of New Zealand.  I snapped the photo during a hike of the Franz Josef glacier on New Zealand's South Island.  Apparently, it is a tradition for new tour guides to take a dip in one of the many glacial pools on their first hike.  I chose to stay try, but managed to snap this photo of a British backpacker who showed our group that glacial swims aren't just for the guides!

A polar plunge on the Franz Josef Glacier!
I am posting my photo early this week for blog4nz, a March 21-23 effort to  encourage tourism to New Zealand in the wake of the Christchurch earthquake.  The main message of blog4nz is simple: despite the quake, New Zealand is open for business!
 
Photo of the week is part of "Photo Thursday" started by Nancie at the Budget Travelers Sandbox.  Please visit her site to check out other amazing photos! 

5 comments:

  1. What a great shot!! That guy looks like he got a bit of a shock when he hit the water :)

    Thanks for posting to Travel Photo Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man -- that looks pretty cold! But what a great photo. Blog4NZ = a great cause, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way! He will freeze in there for sure and a statue of him will emerge out of it! Mwahahaha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's why I didn't jump in. There was still a two hour hike back to the tour bus. It was also winter when I went!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy guacamole! I don't think I'd have done that, even with a wetsuit! Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete