Sunday, June 26, 2011

Best Dessert in NYC

Cafe Lalo, New York City
I first discovered Cafe Lalo's desserts on a trip to New York City last year.  After wandering around the Upper West Side with a friend, we happened upon a cute French-themed cafe and stopped in for some dessert.  The food was so good that we both left thinking we had discovered NYC's best kept secret.  My wife and I visited New York City a few weeks ago, and I wanted to show her the cafe I had "discovered" that had the best dessert in the city.  As soon as we sat down, my wife laughed at me and informed me that I had discovered nothing.  Cafe Lalo was featured in the film "You've Got Mail," and it's existence wasn't a secret at all.  However, after tasting their dessert, she quickly agreed with me; Cafe Lalo has the best dessert in New York City. 


What to Expect
My wife and I visited Cafe Lalo on a summer weeknight.  Though the cafe was busy, we were seated immediately.  Cafe Lalo had a warm and inviting ambience created by their unique decor, a guitarist softly playing jazz in the corner, and the beautiful French windows we sat by that opened to the street.  It would be a great cafe for those looking to impress a date!  Cafe Lalo's menu features a variety of European-themed cuisine for breakfast, lunch, and dinner including waffles, sandwiches, cheeses, and much more.  They also have beer, wine, and spirits to compliment any meal. My wife ordered coffee and lemonade while we perused the menu.   
Chocolate Madness, Cafe Lalo

Even though their dinner menu was tempting, my wife and I were on a mission for dessert, and Cafe Lalo delivered.  Their impressive dessert menu includes countless cakes, tarts, cheesecakes, chocolate fondue, pies....the list could go on and on.   Cafe Lalo also has a display counter packed with their confections, which made choosing the perfect dessert that much harder.  I chose the creme brulee and my wife had the the "Chocolate Madness" cake. I could try to describe how great it was, or you could take my word for it and try it for yourself.

Inside of Cafe Lalo, NYC
Just the Basics
  • Cafe Lalo Location: 201 West 83rd Street, New York, NY
  • Website: http://cafelalo.com
  • Cafe Lalo Hours: M-Th 8am-2am, Friday 8am-4am, Sat. 9am-4am, Sun. 9am-2am
  • Advice:  Cafe Lalo is the perfect place to bring a date or stop before or after a Broadway show.