Sunday, January 30, 2011

Tips for a First Cruise

Celebrity Eclipse
Over Christmas, I went on my first cruise with my wife and her family.  We traveled on a week-long Celebrity Cruise through the Eastern Caribbean.   I was not sure what to expect.  Most of my travels have been self guided with an open itinerary...exactly the opposite of cruise travel.  I loved the experience but will do a few things differently on my next cruise.  Here are some cruise ship tips that might help you if you are set to embark on your first cruise. 
  1. Do not book shore excursions until you are on the cruise.  We didn't have any problem with excursions booking up, and many excursions would not have been fun had the weather been raining or cold.
  2. Bring sufficient cash to avoid outrageous ATM fees. Our ship's ATM carried a fee of $6!   I would suggest at least $200 per person if you plan on doing any shopping--remember, you don't have to spend it all. 
  3. Do not pack beach towels, hair dryers, or an umbrella.  I wasn't sure what to pack on my cruise.  I found out that most cruise ships will provide these items.  Check your cruise line's website for specifics. 
  4. Talk to cruise staff for tips specific to your ship and ports.  
  5. Bring several formal outfits and shoes for dinners.  Most cruise ships have a dress code for dinners, again, check your ship's website for specifics.  Men often must have a tie and/or jacket. 
  6. Visit websites such as www.cruisecritic.com before disembarking for advice specific to each vessel and port.
  7. Bring walkie talkies if traveling in a group.  Cell phones do not work at sea and it can be difficult to locate people because of the size of the ships. 
  8. Read your ship's daily newsletter.  We used the newsletter to identify free entertainment, drink specials, and the evening dinner menu.  
  9. Prioritize and budget before leaving. What would you most like to spend your budget on?  Excursions? Shopping? Drinks?  Daily fees can add up quickly.  Visit your cruise's website so that you are aware of the cost of daily gratuities, soda/alcohol, excursions, etc.      
  10. Take advantage of free 24 room service.  Nearly every vessel offers the service!
  11. Formal Dinner Table

3 comments:

  1. Wow very helpful advice. I have a small requests to the passengers as not to over pack your luggage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree--that helps both staff and other cruise passengers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find myself coming to your web log increasingly frequently to the point where my visits are just about day-after-day today!

    ReplyDelete