Thursday, July 21, 2011

Photo of the Week: Liberty Memorial

My wife and I just returned from a trip to Kansas City.  We discovered that Kansas City is not "flyover country."  Kansas City offered great neighborhoods, delicious barbecue joints, and countless fountains.  I was also surprised by the number of quality art and history museums in the city. My favorite museum was the National World War I Museum, which is located below the Liberty Memorial (shown in this photo).  Though Liberty Memorial, dedicated to the fallen soldiers of WWI was built in 1926, WWI Museum did not open until recently. 

 Unfortunately, our visit to KC coincided with a heat wave of over 100 degrees fahrenheit, which forced us into air conditioned buildings for most of our stay.  I took this picture of the Liberty Memorial just before the sun went down, when I felt it was safe to finally venture outdoors!  
Liberty Memorial, Kansas City
Photo of the week is part of "Photo Thursday," started by Nancie at the Budget Travelers Sandbox.  Please visit her site to check out other amazing photos!