Saturday, July 16, 2011

My Seven Links

Thank you to Debbie at European Travelista for nominating me to take part in My Seven Links, an endeavor to unite bloggers and highlight some great, but possibly forgotten, blog posts.  

Like European Travelista, Sensible Travel Advice has only been up and running for six months.  It's been great to write about my favorite travel destinations around the world and those just around the corner. My seven links...
Milford Sound, New Zealand


Most Beautiful -- New Zealand's Milford Sound
There is a reason that Peter Jackson chose  to shoot the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy in New Zealand.  The entire nation is majestic and beautiful beyond belief.  The Milford Sound is one many posts about New Zealand I considered for the "most beautiful" post. 

Labadee, Haiti
Most Popular-- Labadee Haiti 
This past winter I went on a cruise of the Western Caribbean.  Though cruising isn't my typical style of travel, it was great to be pampered for a week.  My post on the on Labadee Haiti has become Sensible Travel Advice's most read article--mainly because there is not much information on the web about this popular port-of-call.   

Most Controversial -- Battle Royal: Mall of America
There isn't anything controversial about the Mall of America.  However, it was controversial for to decide whether or not to write about the Mall of America (MOA) at all.  Being a native Minnesotan, it is tough for me to accept that the MOA is the state's most popular tourist attraction, especially considering all there is to see in Minnesota.  In the end, I wrote the post from the standpoint of a person who does not like visiting the monstrosity that is the nation's largest mall! 

Most Helpful -- LGA to Manhattan by Bus 
This was not a flashy or exciting post, but a outlines a great way to save money if you are traveling to New York City.  If you fly into LaGuardia and are staying in Manhattan, taking the bus will save you at least $20. Taking the bus is safe and easy! Too many people are scared to take advantage of public transportation when traveling, and instead end up spending too much money on cab fares.

Most Surprising Success -- Best Coffee Shop in NYC

My wife and I discovered Bisc.Co.Latte by accident on one of our trips to New York City.  We were looking for refuge from a cold and rainy day and happened upon this lovely cafe.  It had everything we were looking for that afternoon; great biscotti, an inviting environment, and hot coffee.  I wrote the post on a whim, and have been surprised how many other people are searching for good coffee shops in New York City. 

Didn't Get the Attention it Deserved -- Grampians National Park 
With mountains, waterfalls, wildlife, and an overall rugged appeal, Grampians National Park is a hidden gem of Australia that is too often missed.  Judging by the hits this post received, I don't think my blog has helped advertise the Grampians to the rest of the world!
Teaching in North Carolina

I am most proud of My Life as a Traveling Teacher
This post links to an interview I did with the website Teaching TravelI am proud to be a public school teacher that has taught and and worked in exotic locations.  I am also proud to use travel as a teaching tool in my everyday classroom in Minnesota.

 My nominations for Seven Links