Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Photo of the Week: Minnesota Shutdown

My home state of Minnesota has been in the news lately.  Unfortunately, it's not the kind of publicity we like.  Our state government has been shut down for two weeks because of a budget battle between the State Legislature and the Governor.  It means that much of Minnesota is closed; state parks, museums, rest stops, racetracks...not to mention countless state services!  The shutdown has already canceled a camping trip for me to a state park "up north" (as we say in Minnesota). 

I took this photo of a collage at the Minnesota History Center (while it was still open).  It reminds me of what we are supposed to be known for in Minnesota; rivers, lakes, farmland, Paul Bunyan, and open-minded government! 


I hope they get things figured out at our state capital soon.  Minnesota summers are short, and I want to explore more of our beautiful state before the long winter sets in. 

Photo of the week is part of "Photo Thursday," started by Nancie at the Budget Travelers Sandbox.  Please visit her site to check out other amazing photos!