Monday, February 18, 2013

Minnesota's Best Free Museum

Lost in the MIA=Perfect Afternoon
Minneapolis's best free attraction might also be it's best overall attraction.  The Minneapolis Institute of Arts displays top-notch art from around the globe without charging a cent for it's permanent exhibits.  This is not your typical free museum with so-so displays; the Minneapolis Institute of Arts has masterpieces from the likes of Vincent Van Gogh, Claude Monet, and Andy Warhol.  It also boasts the nation's best Asian art collection and keeps a definition of art open to include furniture, weapons, and architecture.  Did I mention that it is free to visit?

What to Expect
I visited the Minneapolis Institute of Arts (often called the MIA) as a respite from a cold February afternoon.  I should have planned a full-day visit.  The Institute is much larger and better than I had expected.  The Institute stretch over three floors and three wings and are divided between regions of the world and time periods.   There are free tours of the museum available every day.  If you miss one of the free tours,  recorded audio tours are available for $5.  If you have a smart phone, many of the exhibits have a QR code that you can scan for more information.  The Institute also has a cafe on the main level and a D'Amico & Sons restaurant on the second floor.  

Van Gogh Olive Trees with Yellow Sky and Sun
I took the Institute's size for granted, didn't take a map, and immediately became lost.  Getting lost in the Minneapolis Institute of Arts turned out to be a blessing in surprise.  Rather than make a beeline for the pieces by Monet and Van Gogh, I became fascinated by other collections.   There is a section devoted to painting and drawings of Minneapolis, St. Paul, and Lake Superior made well before Minnesota was even a state.  I was also impressed by the exhibit on the architecture design of Frank Lloyd Wright that included a full-sized section of a house he designed on Lake Minnetonka.  Before making my way to the European collection, I also was shocked to see Andy Warhol's Marilyn Monroe on display.  I had no idea such a famous piece was made it's home in Minneapolis!

By the time I had reached the impressionism collection, I though I was in for a let down, but I was not.  Van Gogh's Olive Trees with Yellow Sky and Sun did not disappoint. However, by the time I was through the European Art section, it was nearly closing time!  I never even got a chance to view collections of art from Africa and their world-famous Asian art collection.  I'm planning another visit to the Minneapolis Arts Institute next week just to catch up on all that I missed!

Minneapolis Institute of Arts
Just the Basics
  • Location: 2400 3rd Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55404
  • Websitehttp://www.artsmia.org/
  • Hours: 10am-5pm Monday-Saturday, 11am-5pm Sunday, Closed Mondays
  • Cost: Free, optional special exhibits may charge a fee
  • Parking: Ramp/lot parking available off of 3rd Avenue for $3 for 4 hours, street parking is free
  • Advice: Art lovers should split their visit into two.  The Institute holds too many treasurers to be viewed in one rushed blitz of the galleries.