Saturday, September 17, 2011

Hiking the Kadunce River


Kadunce (Kodonce) River

I have lived in Minnesota my whole life.  I am embarrassed to admit that I had never been to Grand Marais until this past summer.  I had heard how wonderful the area is, surrounded by Lake Superior and rugged hillsides.  However, I thought that my overseas traveling adventures were far superior (no pun intended) to anything that Minnesota could offer.  I was wrong.  Grand Marais and the Arrowhead Region of Minnesota offer as much beauty, culture, and adventure as anyplace else I have been in the worldOne experience that helped open my eyes to the area was a hike my father-in-law led along the Kandounce River.  Though the hike left me wet, cold, and sore, it also opened my eyes to the adventure that could be had close to home. 


What to Expect
Climbing a waterfall on the Kadunce
The Kandunce River (sometimes spelled "Kodonce") trailhead is easy to access from Hwy 61, the main thoroughfare along the north shore of Lake Superior.  Drive northeast of Grand Marais approximately nine miles to reach the Kadunce River Wayside Park.  From the parking area, walk across the highway to access the trailhead.  There are a couple of diffent ways to explore the river.  Most people simply walk the trail that travels along and above the river offering a safe and relatively easy way to see the area.

However, I would suggest a much more adventurous path--travel along the riverbed itself. While doing so will require to get your feet wet and climb a couple of waterfalls, you'll get a chance to see some best landscapes in Minnesota.  To access the riverbed, simply hop off of trail and down the riverbed a hundred yards from the trailhead.  The river and trail will not meet up again until about an hour's hike upriver, so you'll have to be committed!  Also bring shoes and clothes that can be fully submerged in the icy water in case you slip!  What will you see along the way?  I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. 

Just the Basics
  • Advice: Wear a sturdy pair of shoes that you don't mind getting wet (soaked)!  I would also advice not to hike the river alone for safety purpose.  You don't want to slip on a rock and be left alone along the river! 
  • Location: The Kandunce River Trailhead is located nine miles northeast of Grand Marais along Highway 61