Sunday, January 23, 2011

Spend less than $75 on hotel for a New York City visit


Room at the Meadowlands Plaza Hotel
I have tried a variety of ways to save money on lodgings when I have visited New York--from hostels in Manhattan to crashing with friends.  The best value for the dollar that I have found (and most enjoyable) has been to stay in New Jersey.   Jersey hasn't always had the best reputation (insert your favorite Jersey joke here).  But seriously, I have enjoyed lodging across the Hudson River for a variety of reasons. 
  • It is usually cheaper to fly into Newark than JFK or Laguardia. 
  • By using websites such as priceline.com, you can stay in 3 to 4 star hotels for around $75 a night.  Try finding a better deal anywhere in Manhattan! 
  • Traveling on New Jersey Transit system buses from Secaucus, New Jersey (where I usually stay) to Port Authority terminal in Manhattan only costs $2.55 and takes about 20 minutes!
  • Secaucus itself has many great options for food and entertainment.  
What to Expect
I have stayed at a couple of different hotels in Secaucus.  On my last stay, I stayed at the Meadowlands Plaza Hotel.  By booking through priceline.com, I was able to get a Thursday-Sunday stay for less than $70 at night--that's including taxes and fees!   Once I had made the reservation on Priceline, I called the Meadowlands Plaza to reserve a non-smoking room.

The hotel met all of the needs that my wife and I were looking for; it was safe, clean, quite, offered free shuttle to the bus stop/train station, and was within walking distance to Secaucus's main restaurant district.  The staff was friendly and helped answer questions we had about the area.  Check out their website at  http://www.meadowlandsplazahotel.com/.

I have also stayed at the nearby and similarly named Crowne Plaza Hotel in Secauacus.  Though the hotel itself was a bit fancier the Meadowlands Plaza, it was also more costly and located on a less-frequented bus stop.

The Basics 
  • Location: Both hotels I have stayed in have been just off of Meadowlands Parkway in Secaucus. 
  • Cost: Usually less that $100 per night through Priceline or Hotwire. 
  • Advice: Call hotels before arriving to try to secure a non-smoking (or smoking) room.  You should also ask about complimentary shuttles from the train or bus stations.
  • Money Saving Tip: Eat lunch in New York City during the day, but come back to enjoy some of the neighborhood dining options in Secaucus.  Two of my favorite restaraunts were Fifth and Front (located at the corner of Fifth and Front and Natoli's. 
    • Fifth and Front is a great local bar complete with an extensive burger and sandwich menu, cheap drinks, and occasional live entertainment.  Filthy-mouthed and thick-accented patrons come at no charge.  It is located at the corner of Fifth and Front Street in Secaucus. 
    • Just a few blocks away at 300 Clarendon Street is Natoli's, a yummy Italian Eatery.  Space to eat is limited, so I would suggest ordering take-out or delivery. Phone: 201-864-2243 Website: http://www.natolis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment