Sunday, April 17, 2011

Ropes Course Taupo, New Zealand

Rock'n Ropes Trapeze Swing
Attention all adrenaline junkies, thrill seekers, and adventurous souls of New Zealand.  Just north of Lake Taupo is one of New Zealand's best adventure activities that will galvanize your sense of courage.  If you are thinking skydiving or bungee jumping, you'd be wrong.  I am talking about the Rock'n Ropes ropes course.  Unlike tandem skydiving or bungee jumping, which anyone can do with their eyes shut, completing a ropes course requires focus and determination.  I decided to try Rock'n Ropes  because I wanted to overcome my own fear of heights.  While I am still a bit leery of of heights, completing Rock'n Ropes did give me the courage to bungee jump and skydive later in my trip to New Zealand. 

What to Expect
There are several options at Rock n Ropes, from a half day of fun to a single nerve rattling swing, to test your comfort with heights.  I chose the half day course which allows you to experience every thrill and challenge of Rock n Ropes.  As part of the high-rise course, I walked across narrow beams and wires, swung on a trapeze, and even balanced on the end of a log 13 meters (40 feet) above the ground!  I was surprised by how difficult even the most simple tasks, such as standing tall, became once I was high in the air.  Rock n Ropes is more a mental challenge than a physical one.  Even though I have a fear of heights, I never felt unsafe.  Safety was clearly the top priority at Rock'n Ropes.  Before trying any of the obstacles, the staff ensured that our safety harnesses and helmets were properly attached.  Though the staff encouraged us to have fun, they never pressured  us to attempt a portion of the course if we felt uncomfortable.
Rickety Bridge Ropes Course

If you are can't commit to the half day ropes course, there are shorter options available.  The Adrenaline combo let's you try the High Beam, Trapeze, and Giant Swing for $40NZ.   If you are on a really tight schedule, you can also try just the Giant Swing for $20NZ.  Be warned; it is intense.  For me, it ranked just short of bungee jumping in terms of thrill factor

Just the Basics
  • Cost Rock'n Ropes: 
    • Half Day: $65NZ
    • Adrenaline Combo: $40NZ
    • Giant Swing: $20
  • Website: http://www.rocknropes.co.nz/ 
  • Phone: Freephone- 0800 244508, reservations highly recommended
  • Rock'n Rope Location: 5 minutes north of Taupo on State Hwy 1.  They also offer pickup from Taupo accommodations. 
  • Advice: Bring sturdy shoes, sunglasses, and a sense of adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment